Megalithic landscapes of Carnac and South Morbihan

Learn more



Tumulus of Tumiac

One of the largest and most prestigious tumuli in Morbihan


This large tumulus is one of the most imposing in Southern Morbihan. It is also known as “Caesar’s mound”: legend has it that Caesar watched the battle against the Veneti off the coast of the Rhuys peninsula from the top of the tumulus.

The monument is a large tomb dating back to the Neolithic Era – around 4500 BC. The 15m-high tumulus with a diameter of 55m was explored in 1853 by Louis Galles and Alfred Fouquet from the Polymath Society of Morbihan. They discovered a complex architecture with a closed burial chamber. Some outstanding objects were found in this burial area: variscite beads, along with jadeite and fibrolite axes, now preserved at the Vennes History and Archeology Museum. A few bone fragments showed that a body had been laid to rest there in the Neolithic Era. These fragments no longer remain. Due to the size of the tomb and the objects found in it, archeologists believe the structure to be connected with the elite of Neolithic society.

Tumiac tumulus has been listed as a Historic Monument since 1923.